About the Department
The word Pharmacognosy is derived from two Greek words, ‘Pharmakon’ meaning ‘drug’ and ‘gnosis’ meaning ‘knowledge’. Therefore, Pharmacognosy literally means knowledge of drugs. Pharmacognosy is one of the important branches of pharmacy
It deals with “ the study of structural, physical, chemical and sensory characters of crude drugs of animal, vegetable and mineral origin and includes their history, cultivation, collection, storage and use.“ From a nonprofessional’s point of view, Pharmacognosy is nothing but medicinal botany.
Though the term Pharmacognosy is a modern one, the knowledge of medicinal plants and their uses are as old as humankind is. It has developed from ancient civilizations, where plants or plants parts have been used to cure human diseases / disorders.
The healing power of certain herbs and plant parts such as leaves, barks, roots etc. were undoubtedly discovered by accident, but once discovered, knowledge of drugs was passed on from generation to generation.
Nowadays, people are increasingly turning to indigenous systems of medicine, which are holistic and not only treat diseases but also prevent them. Further, they are free from side effects.
With the rising popularity of traditional systems of medicine, there is a growing demand for professionals in this field. In order to become a medical practitioner in Indian system of medicine, a formal education is mandatory.
- Pharm from any PCI & AICTE recognized institute.
- As per the UTU norms.
- The admission to 85% of the total seats would be based on the entrance exam conducted by UTU. 15% Management admissions are done directly by the institute by conducting institute level counseling on the combined merit based on the aggregate marks of B.PHARM. WEIGHTAGE WILL BE GIVEN TO THE CANDIDATES HAVING GPAT SCORE.
Mode of Payment
- Fees shall be accepted in the form of demand draft (DD) / cheques /or online transaction only. Demand Draft/ Cheques/ Pay Order in favor of “GRD IMT B.PHARM” payable at Dehradun, which can be deposited at the ACCOUNT itself.
Further Fees can be transfered to our SBI Account.
- Account Name:GRD IMT B.PHARM
- Account Number:31261477554
- Bank Name: State bank of India, Jakhan,Dehradun
- IFSC Code: SBIN006155
- Scholarships from AICTE, New Delhi for those who qualified in GPAT examination.
- 100% Scholarship for ST/SC students. All tution fees wavier scheme is applicable as per UTU norms.
- The institution is suitably rewarding for the college toppers.